The appeal on this case has been dismissed by the Court. Settlement payments will be disbursed in the next 2-3 weeks.
If you or your child used the Musical.ly and/or TikTok software application when under the age of 13, You May Be Entitled to a Payment from a Class Action Settlement. You may file a claim in this Settlement HERE.
There is a second settlement website located HERE. If you and/or your minor child, used the TikTok and/or Musical.ly application, You May Be Entitled to a Payment from a Class Action Settlement. You may file a claim in this matter HERE.
June 19, 2021 — Exclusion
June 19, 2021 — Objection
July 24, 2021 — Claim Filing Deadline
August 31, 2021 at 11:00am — Final Approval Hearing. The final approval hearing set for 8/31/2021 at 11:00 a.m. shall proceed by telephone. To participate, counsel shall call 877-402-9753 and utilize participant code 9955840. Members of the public and media may also call in to this number to observe, using the same call in number and participant code. Persons granted remote access to proceedings are reminded of the general prohibition against photographing, recording, and rebroadcasting of court proceedings. Violation of these prohibitions may result in sanctions, including removal of court issued media credentials, restricted entry to future hearings, denial of entry to future hearings, or any other sanctions deemed necessary by the Court. Mailed notice(gel, )
A federal court authorized the Notice. You are not being sued. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.
- Plaintiffs filed a class action complaint alleging that Bytedance Technology Co., Ltd., Musical.ly, Inc., Musical.ly the Cayman Islands Corporation, and TikTok Inc., (collectively, the “Defendants”), violated federal and state laws by tracking, collecting, and disclosing the personally identifiable information and/or viewing data of children under the age of 13 - without parental consent - while they were using Defendants’ video social networking platform, i.e., software application (the “App.”). Defendants deny these allegations and other material allegations in the operative complaint.
- A Settlement1 has been reached in this case and affects the following persons:
All persons residing in the United States who registered for or used the Musical.ly and/or TikTok software application prior to the Effective Date when under the age of 13 and their parents and/or legal guardians (the “Settlement Class”).
- The Settlement, if approved, would provide $1,100,000 to pay the members of the Settlement Class who file valid claims, as well as to pay Plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees, costs, a service award for the named plaintiffs, and the administrative costs of the settlement; it avoids the further cost and risk associated with continuing the lawsuits; it pays money to those persons whose rights Plaintiffs contend were violated; and it releases Defendants from further liability.
- Your legal rights are affected whether you act or don't act. Read the Notice carefully.
|YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS IN THIS SETTLEMENT|
SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM
|If you are a member of the Settlement Class, you must submit a completed Claim Form to receive a payment. If the Court approves the Settlement and it becomes final and effective, and you remain in the Settlement Class, you will receive your payment by electronic means.
Deadline: July 24, 2021
|You may request to be excluded from the Settlement and, if you do, you will receive no benefits from the Settlement.
Deadline: June 19, 2021
|Write to the Court if you do not like the Settlement.
Deadline: June 19, 2021
GO TO A HEARING
|Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the Settlement.|
|You will not receive a payment if you fail to timely submit a completed Claim Form, and you will give up your right to bring your own lawsuit against Defendants about the Claims in this case.|
- These rights and options - and the deadlines to exercise them - are explained in the Notice.
- The Court in charge of this case still has to decide whether to approve the Settlement. If it does, and after any appeals are resolved, benefits will be distributed to those who submit qualifying Claim Forms. Please be patient.
1Capitalized terms herein have the same meanings as those defined in the Settlement Agreement.